[Distutils] Changing the way packaging related PEPs are drafted

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 23:20:30 CEST 2013

On 25 Aug 2013 01:05, "Antoine Pitrou" <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > In order to provide an issue tracker and easy pull requests for the
> > metadata PEPs, I have set up a dedicated repo for them on BitBucket:
> >
> >     https://bitbucket.org/pypa/pypi-metadata-formats/src
> >
> > The current contents are the PEP 426 (core-metadata.rst) and 440
> > (versioning.rst) drafts, along with copies of the previously accepted
> > PEPs for 376 (installation-db.rst), 425 (compatibility-tags.rst) and
> > 427 (wheel-format.rst).
>
> Hmmm... is it possible to push them automatically to the peps repo on
> hg.python.org, still?
> Having stale versions online is confusing; moreover, the formatted version
> is much better on e.g. http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0426/, than
> https://bitbucket.org/pypa/pypi-metadata-formats/src/tip/core-metadata.rst

The draft PEPs will still be updated on python.org when something is
coherent enough for additional discussion (I should clarify that in the
README). Aside from adding an issue tracker and pull request support, this
change is about creating a public record of *all* the changes that persists
across PEP number changes when we do a new version of one of the
specifications.

Cheers,
Nick.