[Distutils] PEP449 - Removal of the PyPI Mirror Auto Discovery and Naming Scheme

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Tue Aug 27 13:10:47 CEST 2013

On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 16:47 -0400, Donald Stufft wrote:
> On Aug 10, 2013, at 9:07 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>
> > [snip]
>

> I guess I'm going to ask for some pronouncement on this? It's been two weeks with no real feedback.
>
> FWIW tangentially related to this proposal, g.pypi.python.org is now 16 days out of date.

Being one of the people who wanted to but didn't feedback (still in vacation,
writing from a camping place with ssh/mutt and lousy connectivity FWIW):

- the PEP claims that PEP381 mirroring protocol continues to exist.
  But are the statements in http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0381/#statistics-page still valid, i.e. does pypi.python.org still crawl mirrors for
  statistics when the PEP449-DNS removal happens?  Also PEP381 has
  seen some modifications and enhancements before and after the CDN
  introduction.

- relatedly, I'd suggest to clarify that this PEP does at least not preclude
  further PEPs or attempts to introduce other means than DNS to manage
  PyPI mirrors (one where mirror availability is stored at and queried via
  a python.org address).  Ideally, it should already incorporate a
  procedure to register mirrors and to list them at a web page.

- maybe a "future work" section could list these issues.

I guess one underlying question is how much we want to rely on the CDN
mid/long-term.  It's introduction was not discussed in a PEP but it
is mentioned e.g. in PEP449 as a reason to shutdown mirror management
infrastructure.

That all being said, i am otherwise ok with PEP449 as DNS seems indeed
the wrong way to handle mirror management.

best,
holger