[Distutils] Handling the binary dependency management problem

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 1 23:07:37 CET 2013

On Sun, 1/12/13, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> If the issue is simply around defining compatibility tags that better
> describe the various environments around, then let's just  get on with
> that - we're going to have to do it in the end anyway, why  temporarily
> promote an alternative solution just to change our  recommendation
> later?

This makes sense to me. We should refine the compatibility tags as much as is required. It would be nice if there was some place (on PyPI, or elsewhere) where users could request binary distributions for specific packages for particular environments, and then some kind people with those environments might be able to build those wheels and upload them ... a bit like Christoph Gohlke does for Windows.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip