[Distutils] Handling the binary dependency management problem

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 11:23:11 CET 2013

On 3 December 2013 20:19, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Only folks that actually understand the difference between
> static and dynamic linking and wrapper modules vs self-contained
> accelerator modules are likely to understand what "shared external
> binary dependency" means, so I agree it's not a useful phrase to use
> in a recommendation aimed at folks that aren't already experienced
> developers.

"... aren't already experienced C/C++/etc developers". There are lots
of higher level languages (including Python itself) that people can be
an experienced in and still have never had the "pleasure" of learning
the ins and outs of dynamic linking and binary ABIs.

Foundations made of sand - it isn't surprising that software sometimes
fails, it's a miracle that it ever works at all :)

Cheers,
Nick.