[Distutils] Handling the binary dependency management problem

Marcus Smith qwcode at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 00:50:03 CET 2013

> well, except that the anaconda index covers non-python projects like "qt",
>> which a private wheel index wouldn't cover (at least with the normal
>> intended use of wheels)
>

> umm, why not? you couldn't have a pySide wheel???

just saying that the anaconda index literally has packages for "qt" itself,
the c++ library.
http://repo.continuum.io/pkgs/free/linux-64/qt-4.8.5-0.tar.bz2

and it's pyside packages require that.

my understanding is that you could build a pyside wheel that was statically
linked to qt.

as to whether a wheel could just package "qt".  that's what I don't know,
and if it could, the wheel spec doesn't cover that use case.