[Distutils] Handling the binary dependency management problem

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 13:22:59 CET 2013

On 6 December 2013 17:10, Thomas Heller <theller at ctypes.org> wrote:
> Am 06.12.2013 06:47, schrieb Nick Coghlan:
>> Hmm, I just had an idea for how to do the runtime selection thing. It
>> actually shouldn't be that hard, so long as the numpy folks are OK
>> with a bit of __path__ manipulation in package __init__ modules.
>
> Manipulation of __path__ at runtime usually makes it harder for
> modulefinder to find all the required modules.

Not usually, always. That's why
http://docs.python.org/2/library/modulefinder#modulefinder.AddPackagePath
exists :)

However, the interesting problem in this case is that we want to
package 3 different versions of the modules, choosing one of them at
runtime, and modulefinder definitely *won't* cope with that.

Cheers,
Nick.