[Distutils] Install a script to <prefix>/sbin instead of <prefix>/bin

Michael Jansen info at michael-jansen.biz
Sat Dec 7 12:14:13 CET 2013

On Saturday, December 07, 2013 10:56:16 AM Paul Moore wrote:
> On 7 December 2013 10:12, Michael Jansen <info at michael-jansen.biz> wrote:
> >> I made a proof of concept implementation (not ready to be merged) here
> >
> > No one interested in that? Got no answer from the maintainers too.
>
> Personally, I'm against the idea on principle, because the bin/sbin
> distinction is not a cross-platform concept (Windows does not have
> it). For the core tools, I'd prefer *not* to include tools that
> encourage platform-specific behaviour (I've seen too many projects in
> the past which would work perfectly on Windows except for something
> like this).
>
> As a 3rd-party setuptools extension providing utilities that make
> writing POSIX-specific packages easier, I see no problem with it,
> though.

My next step would be to implement support for fhs in the way that you can specify it like that

                    '$bindir/bin_script',
                    '$sbindir/sbin_script',
                    ['$sbindir', ['sbin/sbin_script']],
                    ['$bindir', ['bin/bin_script2']],
                    ['$whateverwwwisnamedinfhs/myprefix', ['bin/mymod.wsgi']]

And then setting those variables in cross platform compatible ways.

Mike

--
Michael Jansen
http://michael-jansen.biz