[Distutils] Scripts in installed wheel RECORD

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 12:36:09 CET 2013

On 12 December 2013 10:43, Bohuslav Kabrda <bkabrda at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
> so I noticed a strange thing in RECORD of an installed wheel:
> When a wheel that contains file "foo-1.data/scripts/spam" is installed, "spam" gets copied to a proper dir (e.g. /usr/bin) and the whole "foo-1.data" directory is deleted. A line with the new location is added to RECORD, but the old line is not deleted, so the file is listed twice in the RECORD file.
> This seems to be wrong, since the original file doesn't exist any more, so "foo-1.data/scripts/spam" should be deleted from the RECORD (applies to all all files in "foo-1.data").
> PEP 427 doesn't mention this situation, so I'm not sure - is this expected?

That doesn't sound like expected behaviour. I'd suggest you raise a
bug against whichever toold you used to install the wheel (pip,
probably, but maybe wheel or distlib I guess) with the steps needed to
demonstrate the issue.

Just checking my installation, it looks like it may be pip doing this
- I see one RECORD file that looks similar in my site-packages. Please
do raise an issue on the pip tracker, so it doesn't get overlooked.

Paul