[Distutils] Platform specific destinations in wheel files?

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Fri Dec 27 21:02:17 CET 2013

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> > But that concept doesn't work on all platforms, so we should be careful
> about isolating it.
>
> Encapsulating that assumption is why I think the "gnu" nesting is
> justified. There are layout expectations inherent in the autoconf directory
> design that just don't make sense on Windows, so any package expecting them
> is going to be a bit quirky if installed on Windows.

I'm confused now as to what has been proposed or being discussed, or...

I _thought_ that this thread started with a proposal that package authors
would do something like specifying a file hierarchy for the stuff they are
delivering:

/bin/some_scripts
/share/some_data
/man/some_docs

then at installation time, the python distro would decide where to copy all
that.

But this would beb worthless on non-gnu systems and would require:
 1) package writer to write three or four versions
 2) wheels to be platform-dependent unnecessarily.

So my suggestion was to define the various locations where stuff may need
to be installed at a higher level:

place_to_put_top_level_scripts
place_to_put_documentation
place_to_app_data
place_to_put_user_configuration_files
place_to_put_user_system_configuration_files

Then the python distro would map these to actual paths at install time: gnu
systems would map the gnu locations, Windows to
Windows-appropriate locations, OS-X to OS-X locations, etc.... This wold
also allow python distros like Anaconda or macports python, or ??? to do
their own thing, which may not be putting everything in /usr/local, or ...

That may be what you had in mind, but I got confused.

-Chris

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov