[Distutils] migration path for entry_points?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 22:20:48 CET 2013

On 1 Jan 2014 06:58, "Daniel Holth" <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's nice to have that split up into lots of more focused documents.

Yeah, I was really happy with how breaking things up into multiple
extensions worked out.

I'm still pondering the question of whether or not to aim for the updated
installation database format (with a check for an sqlite DB in each path
entry  before looking directly at the metadata files) in the metadata 2.0
time frame.

It's a potentially preferable approach to speeding up runtime lookups over
extracting additional per-distribution data files.

Maybe it's worth at least defining that as a *goal* and then deciding the
time frame for when we want to get there?

> The comment I have is that I think entry points sometimes have
> multiple values with the same name (a list or multidict instead of a
> simple dict) although I'm not sure how common that is...

If the current format allows repeated keys with different values, we may
need to allow lists as values in addition to strings in the PEP 459
approach.

> Tools should just do automatic conversion of entry_points.txt to the
> new metadata format when .dist-info is in use.

Yep, as with other fields, my aim is to create a format that can be derived
from the existing setuptools metadata. That way, PyPI can publish it even
for projects that only upload metadata using the current setuptools formats.

Cheers,
Nick.