[Distutils] PEP 426, round 733 ;)

Donald Stufft donald.stufft at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 15:12:51 CET 2013

On Tuesday, February 5, 2013 at 9:08 AM, Daniel Holth wrote:
> What if we replaced this with semver? Last fall I argued that PEP 386 sucked and that we should use semver. Unfortunately semver is less similar to the longstanding sort order than the proposed scheme, there would be a lot of - and + in the version numbers, and package tools would be more likely to have to implement both PEP 386 and semver to work properly. It would result in a minimal amount of win. I can live with the PEP 386 style version numbers and will stick to using Major.Minor.Micro for my projects.
To be honest I like semver. But I think it's a large enough break in backwards compatibility that the
specific syntax of a semver version doesn't really make much sense to move to. However the semantic part of semver, which in my opinion is the important part, absolutely could be applied to the proposed scheme.