[Distutils] Telling distutils about requirements

Erik Bernoth erik.bernoth at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 19:10:40 CET 2013

Hi everybody,

I think I pretty much read all of the
http://docs.python.org/2/distutils/and started to create a pypi
repository for my project (
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/monk_tf). Now there are some things that are
not so clear from the documentation, with the most important being
requirement handling.

I have the same requirements written down in two ways:
 a) a requirements.txt file, which can be called with pip install -r
requirements.txt. Yet I don't see any user downloading a requirements.txt
file from somewhere, then installing it and only then afterwards getting
started with actually installing the package they want to install. Who
would do that?

 b) requires attribute in the setup function call in setup.py. For some
reason pip completely seems to ignore it. I tested the following way (come
along with the code from https://github.com/DFE/MONK, if you like):

    $ cd MONK
    $ python setup.py sdist
    $ cd dist
    $ tar xfvz monk_tf-v0.1.1.tar.gz
    $ cd monk_tf-v0.1.1
    $ python setup.py install
    running install
    running build
    running build_py
    running install_lib
    running install_egg_info
    Writing /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/monk_tf-v0.1.1.egg-info
    $python
    >> import monk_tf
    (Exception, because a required package can't be found)

So this also didn't seem to install any of the required packages.

I'd really like to know, what I am doing wrong here. Anybody ideas or
suggestions? Is there another way to tell distutils about the packages that
should be installed before my package is installed?

Cheers
Erik