[Distutils] PEP 426 updated (with more than you ever wanted to know about version schemes)

Donald Stufft donald.stufft at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 09:07:01 CET 2013

On Tuesday, February 12, 2013 at 3:03 AM, Chris Jerdonek wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 11:08 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com (mailto:ncoghlan at gmail.com)> wrote:
> > Making
> > sure the necessary metadata for the build step is provided as part of
> > the sdist is the responsibility of the Archiver.
> >
> > We don't really *care* what format the Archiver uses to gather info
> > from the user, so long as it uses PEPs 426 and 427 to communicate
> > those details to later steps in the chain.
> >
> > So, to my mind, the next PEP we're missing is actually one for the
> > *sdist* format itself, including a definition for how the
> > meta-packaging system should invoke the sdist->wheel build step,
> > rather than one for the Archiver/Builder configuration data (which is
> > what PEP 390 tries to be, and which I'm not convinced needs to be
> > standardised at all, so long as the Archiver takes care of translating
> > it to the standard formats).
> >

> Can you explain your rationale here? Instinctively, it seems like it
> would benefit project authors and Archiver authors to have a
> standardized (or at least "blessed") way of providing data to
> Archivers. For example, there would be less for project authors to
> learn if they need to use different Archivers for different projects.
> I think I understand why it's not *necessary* (because only the
> project owners/authors would be using the Archiver), but naively it
> seems like it would help to standardize this.

There would likely be a standard library implementation that would serve
as the defacto "blessed" way. The point of not explicitly calling one out
is that it really doesn't matter and it makes people free to do what makes
sense for their project. For the bulk number of projects I assume that's
going to either be something in stdlib, or something that extends it or
atleast maintains the same API. However making it open like this allows
people to experiment outside of stdlib, make a workflow that works best
for them. This allows retaining a lot of the old flexibility of setup.py in
this phase of package creation.