[Distutils] PEP 426 updated (with more than you ever wanted to know about version schemes)

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Feb 12 17:50:42 CET 2013

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 3:48 AM, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:
> The hook could be one or two new header fields in the PKG-INFO
> file, with a PEP that describes those keys and how the builder is invoked and what
> it is supposed to do. Am I understanding this correctly?
>
> Something like:
>
> Extension: pepYYY-builder
> pepYYY-builder/dist: bento (>=1.1)
> pepYYY-builder/build: bento.builder:run

For simplicity's sake and decoupling/DRY, I'd say the bento project
should be the one who'd include the 'build' field specifying the entry
point.  The depending projects should only have to say they're using
bento as a builder.  That allows bento to refactor without breaking
depending projects.

If Vinay's distlib supports entry points and will be in the stdlib,
that'd be even better, since it would avoid having to create Yet
Another Module+Attribute String Parser And Dynamic Importer.  ;-)
(Not to mention documenting its spec and teaching it to people.)