[Distutils] PEP 426: proposed change to extension fields + entry points

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 16:36:56 CET 2013

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 1:29 AM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well this is a rabbit hole. setup.cfg is what you get when the metadata
> devolves into "the arguments passed to setup()". Perhaps that is the real
> reason I don't like JSON that much; the temptation would be to make it
> nothing more than the argument dict to setup() and that ties us to
> distutils.

Sure, it's a temptation, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Note that the format I'm suggesting for Entry-Points is *inspired* by
the way you specify entry points when calling setuptools, but it's
true structured data rather than embedding the "foo = entry-point-def"
mini language that setuptools uses.

Cheers,
Nick.