[Distutils] pip/easy_install mercurial in virtualenv on Python 3.3

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Mon Feb 25 18:31:52 CET 2013

Hi Carl,

On 25.02.13 17:47, Carl Meyer wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> On 02/25/2013 05:27 AM, Christian Tismer wrote:
>> Some further analysis of the problem:

>> But actually, the "bad thing" IMHO is the naming clash introduced by the
>> symlinks that v(irtual)env is setting:
>>
>> Why does it ignore the otherwise clear distinction between python and
>> python3 ?
> When Vinay ported virtualenv to Python 3, we made the decision that
> since virtualenvs generally have exactly one Python interpreter of one
> version, that it would be less surprising if every virtualenv always had
> a "python", regardless of 2v3. I don't know for sure if that was the
> right choice or not.

Well, I'm struggling quite a bit with that and would love to at least have
the option to keep things uniquely named, the same way as the
system pythons are.

Actually, I would love to have both python2 and python3 in the same
virtualenv, for testing purposes, distinguishing the versions by using
the different interpreter, only.
But installing both versions after another messes things up very much
and led to the effect that I  always got python3, even if I explicitly ran

(virtenv) $ python2

Python 3.3.0 (default, Dec 29 2012, 18:23:00)

>> And who is responsible to make things "right":
>> Should virtualenv avoid this naming problem,
>> or should the mercurial installer become more carefully specify its
>> interpreter?
> In general, I think that it is wrong for system-installed scripts to
> ever use "/usr/bin/env python" in the shebang line, as that makes it too
> easy for them to be run with the wrong Python. I know that, for
> instance, it is the policy of Debian/Ubuntu to not use "#!/usr/bin/env
> python". I don't know what homebrew's policy is, but I'd suggest raising
> this as a bug in the Homebrew Mercurial package.

Thank you. Yes I feared that I would have to prove it to be a hg bug
(again), not always the nicest experience ;-)

thanks a lot for your answer

    -- chris

phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023