[Distutils] PEP 426: proposed change to extension fields + entry points

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 19:42:05 CET 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

> Daniel Holth <dholth <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > I can accept a rename but there is no way to avoid having 2 names not 1
> new
> > name for the feature.
> > We go halfway now. The next version can go any other way.
>
> Just to be clear, the naming of "exports" vs. "entry points" was not the
> main
> thrust of my point - I mentioned it purely by way of explaining that part
> of the
> JSON snippet I posted.
>
> What I meant to say is that that parsing or writing a JSON file called
> entry_points.txt (or whatever) is just as easy as parsing or writing an
> ini-format file. However, the benefit of JSON is clear when composing a
> larger
> set of data from separate files (see the separate thread about metadata
> caching).
>
> One can more easily compose the data in entry_points.txt, METADATA,
> requires-dist.txt and anything else if they are just JSON files. That is
> what I
> do in my JSON metadata format - the dependency information is extracted
> from the
> metadata for a release into an aggregated form which is easier to use when
> doing
> dependency resolution.

We all must realize that incremental improvements are not harmful. Delay is
harmful; there has been no obvious way to make a Python package this decade
based on the idea that something better might be just around the corner or
that the current way will be deprecated.

The goal of this version of the PEP is to better represent important
setuptools metadata statically while imposing as near to zero cost as
possible on the actual setuptools users. They will not welcome an unproven
alternative that requires work on their part. Instead, we change things a
little bit, support setuptools / distribute OR "something else" for 5
years, until "something else" is obviously, compellingly better.