[Distutils] The Wheel specification and compatibility tags on Windows

Chris Lambacher chris at kateandchris.net
Wed Feb 27 19:49:22 CET 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

> The trouble is, mistakes happen, and people can upload stuff built with the
> "wrong" compiler without realising - say, corporates who build their own
> Pythons, perhaps for embedding scenarios. It may be that in some
> situations where
> there's a DLL mismatch, you'd get weird, hard-to-diagnose errors at run
> time.

It is pretty hard to do this. For one thing distutils will only use the
version of visual studio it was built with so as long as people are using
the official Windows binaries there is not problem. Someone would have to
self build a version of Python with a different version of Visual Studio
and the source does not come with build scripts for multiple versions of
Visual Studio. So while it is possible to get modules built with a
different version of Visual Studio, it is generally pretty hard to do and
unlikely to happen "in the wild". I have heard of some companies creating
their own internal build but then they are totally out of using PyPI at
that point anyway. Active Python was, last I checked, compatible with the
official build and I would expect other builds like Enthought to similarly
be compatible or be excluded from using PyPI.

--
Christopher Lambacher
chris at kateandchris.net