[Distutils] buildout.dumppickedversions and buildout_versions

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Jan 4 14:15:05 CET 2013

On 04/01/2013 13:03, Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 2:42 AM, Chris Withers<chris at simplistix.co.uk>  wrote:
>>> thing and http://packages.python.org/buildout_versions/index.html doesn't
>>> state
>>> what problem it solves.
>>

>> Try http://packages.python.org/buildout_versions/use.html
>
> Right, that lacks the summary you previde below.

It's not that long a page ;-)

>> The basic problems solved:
>>
>> - when un-pinned, non-developed packages are encountered, report the
>> versions buildout ended up picking
>
> As you get with buildout -v

No you don't. You get a bunch of verbose logging that you need to grep
through and transform into something you can put into a [versions]
section...

>> - if a file is specified (which can be buildout.cfg), append those those
>> un-pinned versions to the end of that file
>
> Got it.

...rather than just doing the right thing and telling you what it did ;-)

>> - if a python version is specified, blow up if a different version is used
>> to run buildout.
>
> That's an interesting one no one mentioned. :)

Yeah, buildout-versions is a project I mainly develop 'cos I need it not
because I want to make the community happy ;-) I hit issues with a
customer where it turned out the wrong python distribution was being
used, so I added this to buildout-versions... it is in the docs, but I
didn't make a big song and dance about it.

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk