[Distutils] Some clarifications and/or corrections to PEP 376

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Fri Jan 4 18:10:08 CET 2013

On Fri, 2013-01-04 at 11:43 +0000, Paul Moore wrote:
> On 4 January 2013 11:06, Antonio Cavallo <a.cavallo at cavallinux.eu> wrote:
> > And I'm talking about **applications** (eg. some code + some library
> > depending on an installed python stack) vs **libraries** (code simply
> > installed along the current python stack).
>
> That's the point, though. In general, distutils installs Python
> packages, which are *libraries*, not *applications*.

+1.  A library might allow you to generate an application after the
library itself is installed -- for example, it might include a console
script which generates a config file and puts it somewhere -- but that
needn't happen at library installation time (and IMO should not); it's a
separate issue.

- C