[Distutils] Better version pinning in buildout (buildout-versions)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sun Jan 6 23:03:55 CET 2013

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 3:51 PM, Reinout van Rees <reinout at vanrees.org> wrote:
> On 05-01-13 23:47, Jim Fulton wrote:
>>
>> 1. New buildout option named ``versions-file`` which takes the name of
>>     a file. to contain version information.  It is not a configuration
>>     file.  It is a file consisting of comments (#...)  and version
>>     specifications::
>>
>>       # whatever
>>       foo = 1.3
>

> So... basically pip's requirements.txt?

I'm not familiar with pip's requirements.txt, but I suppose so,
except that over time, this might have versions for things that are
no-longer used, and, as you point out later, it might not be complete.

> Was this your intention?

No. It's a bonus. :)

> Could be
> handy. It could make working with either pip or buildout more
> interchangeable (only as far as that goes, of course, I'm mostly thinking
> about having a requirements.txt to use with readthedocs.org, which doesn't
> support buildout).
>

> If so, there's one question that I worry a bit about. How would this work
> with a KGS scenario? A pip requirements.txt would not include the
> KGS-included versions from the [versions] part in the KGS file.

Yup.

> My impression is that pip needs a single requirements.txt file. Perhaps I'm
> mistaken here?

I wasn't trying to support pip. If someone was also using a KGS or
otherwise using the versions option, then the versions file would
be incomplete.

It would probably be saner to generate a pip requirements file from
a buildout-generated script.  This wouldn't need a new feature.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimfulton