[Distutils] Better version pinning in buildout (buildout-versions)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Jan 7 15:45:58 CET 2013

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 7:34 AM, Leonardo Rochael Almeida
<leorochael at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I see one major issue with this proposal:
>
> Currently, the fact that the versions are in a standard buildout
> section, and subject to standard "extends" layering rules for
> buildout, means we have two great features:
>
> 1. You could locally override the versions file by just providing a
> few extra versions.
>
> 2. You could create partial buildout configurations for certain
> components that specify versions for certain components, and compose
> them with other configurations.
>
> An example that illustrates both: a buildout.cfg for Plone could
> extend the versions.cfg file for Zope 2.12.<latest> (served from a
> remote URL, no less) as well as its own versions.cfg (in this order).
> The latter would provide version pins for Plone components as well as
> tested overrides for more recent versions of Zope 2.12 components.
>
> Unless I misunderstand this proposal, there would could only ever be a
> single versions.cfg file for any buildout. This would require a lot
> more maintenance of this file than the current status quo.

No.  The versions-file can be used with the existing mechanism.
I tried, but apparently failed, to make this clear in the proposal.

If both a versions file and a versions section is used, the versions
section behaves as it does now and versions in the versions file
override versions specified in the versions section.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimfulton