[Distutils] Better version pinning in buildout (buildout-versions)

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Mon Jan 7 16:12:49 CET 2013

Op 07-01-13 15:57, Marius Gedminas schreef:
> On Mon, Jan 07, 2013 at 09:45:58AM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
>> No.  The versions-file can be used with the existing mechanism.
>> I tried, but apparently failed, to make this clear in the proposal.
>>
>> If both a versions file and a versions section is used, the versions
>> section behaves as it does now and versions in the versions file
>> override versions specified in the versions section.
>
> This seems backwards to me.
>
> Consider this example
>
>      $ cat buildout.cfg
>
>        [buildout]
>        I-forgot-the-suggested-new-spelling-for-a-versions-file = versions.txt
>        parts = ...

>      $ cat mg.cfg
>
>        [buildout]
>        extends = buildout.cfg
>        versions = versions
>
>        [versions]
>        SomePackage = overridden_version
>
> I would expect bin/buildout -c mg.cfg to use my overridden version from
> mg.cfg, not the one from versions-file.txt.
>
> Also, having two similar but slightly distinct mechanisms for version
> pinning?  I'm -1 on that.

That is the part that is beginning to confuse me too.

But really, I think I myself would not use such a new-style versions
file, but would simply want buildout to have an option (settable in
buildout.cfg) to print a list of picked versions at the end of the
buildout run.

If that works (which certainly is part of Jim's proposal) and the rest
is optional, then I would be happy and not mind much if the rest is not
exactly according to my ideas.

--
Maurits van Rees: http://maurits.vanrees.org/
Zest Software: http://zestsoftware.nl