[Distutils] Proposal for incorporating buildout-versions on buildout (Re: Better version pinning in buildout (buildout-versions))

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Sun Jan 13 17:50:57 CET 2013

Op 13-01-13 15:10, Jim Fulton schreef:
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 7:38 PM, Marius Gedminas <marius at pov.lt> wrote:
>>> 4. Change: develop eggs found in the buildout's develop-eggs directory
>>>     will be used even if their version conflicts with a pinned version.
>>
>> +1 for the intent, -1 for the implementation.
>>
>> To me develop-eggs was always some kind of mystical implementation
>> detail that sometimes broke things (leftover egg-link files even after I
>> removed those names from my 'develop =' list and re-ran bin/buildout;
>> which always occurred at a point in time when my internal stack was full
>> and I couldn't investigate/file bugs and just rm-rf'ed develop-eggs to
>> be able to continue).
>
> It may be that you're remember from before this was improved.
>
>> I suggest this instead: develop eggs explicitly listed in the [buildout]
>> 'develop' options will be used even if their version conflicts with a
>> pinned version.
>
> The develop option doesn't list eggs. It lists paths to setup scripts.
> The only way we can tell what eggs a setup script installs is by
> watching the develop-eggs directory.

Ah, makes sense now.  'develop = src/my.package' probably leads to
development of a package called my.package, but the name in setup.py may
be totally different, so the develop-eggs dir seems the good place to
look.  And Tres pointed to the line in zc.buildout that cleans this
directory up, so it looks safe to me.

+1

--
Maurits van Rees: http://maurits.vanrees.org/