[Distutils] Proposal for incorporating buildout-versions on buildout (Re: Better version pinning in buildout (buildout-versions))

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Fri Jan 25 21:53:26 CET 2013

On 16-01-13 13:52, Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
>>> I propose that buildout-versions get incorporated into
>>> buildout in the following way:

I've prepared a pull request:
https://github.com/buildout/buildout/pull/46

>> 1. The ``allow-picked-versions`` option gets a new allowed value of
>>     ``show``. if there are unpicked versions and this option is set to
>>     ``show``, then picked/unpinned versions are reported in a way
>>     suitable for copying into a versions section, presumably with the
>>     same format used by buildout-versions today.

Having a nice true/false boolean become a true/false/'show' hybrid: not
too nice.

I've added a show-picked-versions option (default: false). Set it to
true and you get the picked versions at the end like buildout-versions
would give you.

>> 2. New buildout option: ``update-versions-file``.  This takes a path
>>     (relative to buildout directory) of a file to update with any
>>     unpinned versions (in a manner roughly the same as
>>     buildout-versions does today).

Done.

>> 3. New buildout option: ``python-version`` that restricts the Python
>>     version, with the same semantics as buildout-version provides now.

Hm. I copy/pasted the buildout-versions code and worked from there.
Buildout-versions simply looks at a 'python' entry in the [versions]
part, so that's different from a python-version option.

That's not too bad as it saves us another buildout option. But... do we
want to change this?

> 1, 2, and 3 will be done when Chris (or someone else) makes
> time to work on a pull request.  Perhaps this will be in buildout 2.1.

Should my pull request land in 2.0 instead of in 2.1?
Alternative is that Chris accepts the buildout-versions pull request I
prepared, but he's right (I think) in preferring it to land in buildout
itself.
(I myself cannot really use buildout 2 without the buildout-versions
functionality either in buildout itself or in a new buildout-versions).

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees                    http://reinout.vanrees.org/
reinout at vanrees.org             http://www.nelen-schuurmans.nl/