[Distutils] Review of latest draft of PEP 426 (Python package etadata v1.3)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 15:58:28 CET 2013

On 29 January 2013 14:28, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
> The names will be "setuptools" and "pep386" referring to the sort method
> inside pkg_resources and the pep 386 method.

(Warning - bikeshed discussion. I won't prolong the debate beyond this
one comment. I'm happy for Nick to simply pronounce on this). I'm not
sure I like having "setuptools" as a name mandated in a PEP (just
because it's a 3rd party package). Does the distutils LooseVersion
class not give the same sort results? If it does, I would not want to
mislead people into thinking that they *must* require
setuptools/distribute to do version sorting (although almost certainly
they will anyway for other reasons).

Actually, given that the version scheme is a new field, why not duck
the issue and just say that a missing version scheme implies
"legacy"/"setuptools"? That'll be the de facto position anyway.

Paul.