[Distutils] Review of latest draft of PEP 426 (Python package etadata v1.3)

Marcus Smith qwcode at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 23:33:37 CET 2013

> Actually, given that the version scheme is a new field, why not duck
> the issue and just say that a missing version scheme implies
> "legacy"/"setuptools"? That'll be the de facto position anyway.
>
> Paul.

I'm partial to this idea.
i.e. if you want to specify that you're intending to be compatible with
something that's a fixed specification, then use this field for that.
with examples being "pep386" (recommended) and "semver-2.0.0-rc.1"
otherwise, it's assumed you're installer is going to use it's normal
technique or some liberal/legacy mode.

trying to be clear about what a "setuptools" (or "pkg_resources") label
means is hard.  I guess you can provide a link to the original intention in
the original Setuptools docs.
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#specifying-your-project-s-version
But If it's not defined by some spec, but rather implicitly through
implementation, then immediately you wonder about possible differences in
Setuptools/Distribute and pip.

Marcus