[Distutils] Review of latest draft of PEP 426 (Python package etadata v1.3)

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 30 13:32:27 CET 2013

Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan <at> gmail.com> writes:

> will likely need to rely on pkg_resources, or at least a copy of
> pkg_resources.parse_version(), in order to support packages that
> request this version comparison method).

There's a function in distlib, distlib.version.legacy_key(), which sorts
compatibly with pkg_resources.parse_version().

> The one missing piece is that "Version-Scheme: pep386" needs to be
> explicitly identified as the default behaviour if no Version-Scheme
> field is present (as well as the cosmetic fix to get the
> Version-Scheme examples to display correctly).

I'm not sure I understand this point. Shouldn't that default be "pkg_resources",
given that all the existing distributions on PyPI will work with that scheme and
not have the Version-Scheme present in their metadata?

Regards,

Vinay Sajip