[Distutils] $MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET mismatch

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jul 3 22:36:38 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Alan <alanwilter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I found out that if before compiling my python I set
>
> export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.3
>
> and then do all the rest, then I get easy_install to work.

cool - well done.

> So, somehow my python (or setuptools) need to build for "10.3".
>
> For me it's a bug in setuptools since the function that do this check and
> raise the error are from setuptools package.

>>> I've just installed python 2.7.3 standard

How did you install it? not sure what "standard" is. The build is
supposed to setup distutils to do the right thing, and I'm pretty sure
it does with the binaries from python.org.

I will note that unless you want to re-package (i.e. with py2app) and
distribute to folks with old machines, you probably don't need to
support way back to 10.3 -- the "intel build" on python.org is set up
for 10.5 and greater, and may avoid this issue.

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov