[Distutils] PEP 439 and pip bootstrap updated

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 08:28:21 CEST 2013

On 10 July 2013 05:19, Carl Meyer <carl at oddbird.net> wrote:

> > It's my understanding that people still install virtualenv in py3k.
>
> They certainly do today, but that's primarily because pyvenv isn't very
> useful yet, since the stdlib has no installer and thus a newly-created
> pyvenv has no way to install anything in it.

One other problem I have, personally, with pyvenv, is that the activate
code for powershell is significantly less user-friendly than that in
virtualenv. Add to that the fact that the Python release cycle is
significantly slower than that of virtualenv, and using dev versions of
Python is far less practical for day to day use, and that's why I stick to
virtualenv at the moment (that and the pip point mentioned already).

I really ought to post a patch for Python to upgrade the activate script to
use the one from virtualenv. Are there any licensing/ownership issues that
might make this problematic? For example, the script is signed and I don't
know if that signature is attributable to someone specific...

Paul