[Distutils] PEP 439 and pip bootstrap updated

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 10 11:55:41 CEST 2013

Richard Jones <richard <at> python.org> writes:

> It makes sense to me (and Nick) to simplify the packaging overhead for
> users of Python 2. Currently the story is a bit of a mess (multiple
> sites with different approaches).

No argument there, but I still don't see the relevance of virtualenv in a
3.4+ context. The PEP states

"Hereafter the installation of the 'pip implementation' will imply
installation of setuptools and virtualenv."

and, a few lines further down,

"The bootstrap process will proceed as follows:

1. The user system has Python (3.4+) installed."

I don't see any mention of backporting this bootstrap to 2.x.

> > Exactly what benefit does including virtualenv provide in a 3.4+
> > installation?
>
> That was kinda my question <wink>

Sorry, it didn't come across like a question, more like a fait accompli :-)

Regards,

Vinay Sajip