[Distutils] PEP 439 and pip bootstrap updated

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Jul 10 14:46:12 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 12:54 AM, Richard Jones <richard at python.org> wrote:

> On 10 July 2013 14:19, Carl Meyer <carl at oddbird.net> wrote:
> > They certainly do today, but that's primarily because pyvenv isn't very
> > useful yet, since the stdlib has no installer and thus a newly-created
> > pyvenv has no way to install anything in it.
>
> Ah, thanks for clarifying that.
>

> > Certainly if the bootstrap is ever ported to 2.7 or 3.2, it would make
> > sense for it to install virtualenv there (or, probably even better, for
> > pyvenv to be backported along with the bootstrap).
>
> I intend to create two forks; one for consideration in a 2.7.5 release
> as "pip" and the other for users of 2.6+ called "get-pip.py".

Why the specific shift between 2.7 and 2.6 in terms of naming? I realize
you are differentiating between the bootstrap being pre-installed with
Python vs. not, but is there really anything wrong with the script being
called pip (or pip3 for Python 3.3/3.2) if it knows how to do the right
thing to get pip up and going? IOW why not make the bootstrap what everyone
uses to install pip and it just so happens to come pre-installed with
Python 3.4 (and maybe Python 2.7)?