[Distutils] PEP 439 and pip bootstrap updated

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Fri Jul 12 19:34:22 CEST 2013

On Jul 12, 2013, at 1:28 PM, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Daniel Holth <dholth <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Getting rid of an executable build script is no longer a goal. Builds
>> inherently need that often. But we don't want people extending distutils
>> against their will.
>
> Perhaps I should have been clearer - I meant "executable setup.py install",
> and as I understand it, it is a goal to get rid of that.

Yes it's a goal to get rid of setup.py install, but I doubt it will ever fully be gone.
At least not for a long time. There's almost 150k source dist packages on PyPI
and I'm going to assume the vast bulk of them have a setup.py.

> Regarding "executable setup.py build", that's less of an issue than for
> installing, but IIUC, it is still not ideal. Many of the hacks that people
> have made around distutils/setuptools relate to building, not just
> installing, or am I wrong?

It's not ideal, but it's also largely only an issue on the machine of the developer
who is packaging the software. If they are fine with the hacks then there's not
a major reason to move them away from that.