[Distutils] Current status of PEP 439 (pip boostrapping)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 15:38:29 CEST 2013

On 13 July 2013 14:31, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

> +1 on the inversion. I don't know what that will do to pip, it makes sense
> to have the installer self-contained and the packaging/building libraries
> be something that you grab using the installer. Having to grab the
> packaging infrastructure to get an installer is the more painful route.

TBH, I don't understand what "the inversion" implies. If it means pip
taking all of the distlib/setuptools code that it currently uses, and
making it part of pip and maintained within pip (essentially as a fork
while the "inversion" is going on) then I'm not keen on that. Personally, I
don't want to have to maintain that code myself - I guess if Vinay and
Jason were pip maintainers and looked after that code, then that's an
option. If it means pip vendoring distlib and setuptools, then OK (we do
that for distlib already) but I don't see the benefit - no-ione should be
doing "from pip.vendor.distlib.version import Version".

I'd need to know better what it means for pip, I guess...

Paul