[Distutils] flip the pip dependencies (was Current status of PEP 439)

Marcus Smith qwcode at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 21:35:05 CEST 2013

> As you're aware I think it makes the most sense to just bundle setuptools
> wholesale. This makes it impossible to "break" pip by something going wrong
> in setuptools causing it to be uninstalled and means that for users who are
> only doing installs, they don't need setuptools installed just pip.

I'm a fan of bundling too (if it works), but the "dynamic install of
setuptools" idea also offers what you mention, although admittedly with
more fragility.   If a user uninstalled setuptools, it would be installed
again when needed,  and users only need pip to get started, and don't have
to think about the setuptools dependency themselves.

The drawbacks of bundling setuptools:
1) maybe some weird bug/side-effect shows up after we do it (ok, maybe
that's FUD)
2) users can't upgrade themselves (for use in pip)
3) more tedium in our release process.
4) feels odd to bundle it knowing we'd likely drop it later, if we do the
MEBs thing.

Marcus