[Distutils] Another conversation starter - pip documentation in the Python docs

Marcus Smith qwcode at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 19:49:13 CEST 2013

> On 14 July 2013 18:02, Marcus Smith <qwcode at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> there's a section marked "Installation Tutorial".  Someone wanting to
>> install packages should be able to get into that, once it actually has
>> content  : )
>>

> Yes, I see that. I'm not sure I like the up-front "decide between user or
> system or virtualenv" presentation, though. I'm working on something I
> prefer, see what you think when it's done.

yea, don't take the current install tutorial TOC that seriously.
The user/global/virtualenv content came from a recent merge Nick referred
to above.
We just need knowledgeable people to get in there and start working/changing

OK... But remember that most users are consumers of packages, not creators
> of them. The packaging guide should reflect that

Like Nick said, we can put the "Installation Tutorial" above the "Packaging
Tutorial".
Neither tutorial should be considered "Advanced" IMO.  The tutorials should
be crisp and fast.

Also, we *could* put a "Quickstart" above both tutorials, that just lists
the frequent commands with one-liner descriptions, but we have to be really
careful that it doesn't end up duping the tutorials, which are also
intended to be quick as well.

> If not, let's just get a user-only starter page in the Python docs and
> leave the packaging guide as the "more comprehensive" documentation it can
> refer to).

anything that results in feeling like the user guide needs a "user-only
starter page in Python docs" means we're doing it wrong IMO  :  )

I admit the title itself concerns me: "Python Packaging User Guide",  like
it should have the word "Installation" in it.
"Python Installation and Packaging User Guide"?  (its soooo long though....)

Marcus