[Distutils] Current status of PEP 439 (pip boostrapping)

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon Jul 15 11:38:46 CEST 2013

On 13 Jul, 2013, at 16:39, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I smoke-tested the script on vanilla Python 3.3 installations on Windows and
> OS X. On OS X, the pip script was written to the appropriate Frameworks
> folder, but not to /usr/local/bin - I assume it would be simple enough to
> arrange that?

Not installing in /usr/local/bin is a feature that makes it easier to maintain
several python installs without worrying about contamination (for example Python 3
and Python 2, or even 2.6 and 2.7).

The installer by default adds the framework 'bin' directory to the environment for
the shell of the user that installed the framework.

Ronald