[Distutils] Call for PEP author/champion: Bundling pip with CPython installers

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 15:12:07 CEST 2013

On 15 July 2013 21:24, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 July 2013 07:13, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> * ensuring that pip is automatically available in virtual environments
>> created with pyvenv
>

> Is the proposal here for pyvenv to download pip or to install a locally
> stored copy? Using a locally stored copy is what virtualenv does, and I'd
> prefer it to avoid issues where the user's PC has no internet access (as
> well as avoiding the need to worry about secure downloads and bundling
> certs, which was why virtualenv took this route).

Using a locally stored copy. I'm also considering a new trick for the
import system (in the general vein of *.egg-link files) that would let
us achieve that without copying, and perhaps even let us eventually
deprecate *.pth files entirely. If that scheme comes to fruition it
will be as an independent PEP, though.

Cheers,
Nick.