[Distutils] Expectations on how pip needs to change for Python 3.4

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 21:47:23 CEST 2013

On 15 July 2013 18:11, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> The real problem is not technical, actually - it's knowing what Windows
> users will actually be comfortable with. Unix users tend to assume Windows
> users are very uncomfortable on the command line (no offence meant to anyone
> by that) whereas the reality is that some are, some (like me...) really are
> not, and some are simply unfamiliar with the capabilities of the Windows
> command line through lack of need to use it (many of my colleagues, for
> example).

There's another significant group of users including myself who use
the command line extensively but infect every Windows machine they
touch with unixy tools. I use Console2 as my terminal GUI and git-bash
(msys bash) as the shell. I don't really get on with it but a lot of
other people use Cygwin for similar reasons.

One consequence of this setup is that git-bash considers any file with
a shebang to be executable and also .exe files but not .bat files. I
commonly write a python script with a shebang (and no .py extension)
and place a bat file with the same name next to it if, for example, I
need to invoke it from something that doesn't understand my unixy
setup (e.g. os.system). PATHEXT wouldn't solve the problem for me
since the .py extension would still be there when I invoke the script
from git-bash.

> I'm actually tempted to give up trying to please everyone, and just put
> together a solution that suits *me* and see how that flies. Second guessing
> what other people want makes my head hurt :-)

That's probably a good strategy :)

Oscar