[Distutils] Wheels and console script entry point wrappers (Was: Replacing pip.exe with a Python script)

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 16 17:51:09 CEST 2013

Paul Moore <p.f.moore <at> gmail.com> writes:

> FWIW, I believe that the whole "scripts" directory as a concept is too
> platform-specific. The only real use for it is to expose CLI applications

Well, you can also expose GUI applications this way, though the applications
are fewer - Qt applications could easily be cross-platform, for example.
Also, you can put in scripts which are not entry-point related, which would
be essential if you e.g. have existing scripts to bundle as part of an
application, which could be written in other languages, say. Not common,
perhaps, but not a case you want to arbitrarily restrict given that it works
now. Of course, there the distributor of the package is responsible for
ensuring cross-platform workability of such scripts using e.g. including
.cmd files for Windows or whatever.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip