[Distutils] Wheels and console script entry point wrappers (Was: Replacing pip.exe with a Python script)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 20:34:36 CEST 2013

On 16 July 2013 19:18, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> >If I were writing a firm proposal, I'd go for something like entry points
> as metadata
>
> My extended metadata already covers this, though I use the name "exports"
> (suggested by PJE) because you can share not just code but data, and "entry
> points" generally implies code. The current version of distil creates
> wrappers for both gui and console scripts, and adds the appropriate native
> executable wrappers (32- or 64-bit, according to the running Python) on
> Windows.

Nice. So we could say that wheel installers should create exe wrappers
based on the 'scripts' key of the 'exports' metadata. Then we process the
'scripts' directory unaltered for backward compatibility.

The only other part of the equation is to ensure that wheel *builders* do
not put setuptools-generated entry point wrappers into the scripts
directory. Before I embarrass myself again (:-)) is this also something you
already have implemented in distlib? :-)

When you're finished with Guido's time machine, make sure you put the keys
back :-)
Paul