[Distutils] Q about best practices now (or near future)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 19:28:55 CEST 2013

On 17 July 2013 17:59, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

> It is easier for the tooling to install and in general you'll want to use
>> them, but not everything supports Wheel and some people will want to build
>> their own wheels. Think of Wheel as a debian package and the sdist as the
>> source package. Ideally the majority of the time people will be installing
>> from the Wheel but the sdist is still there for those who don't.
>>

> OK, that makes sense and what I understood wheels to be.Thanks for the
> clarification! Daniel's wording made me think suddenly that wheel files
> were only for distributions that had an extension or something.

I think that's the best way for people to think of sdist/wheel - it's
precisely equivalent to srpm/rpm (or the debian equivalent as Donald points
out) in the Unix world. And ultimately, the expectation is that people
install from wheels even for pure-python projects that could just as easily
be installed from source, for precisely the same reasons as people use rpms
rather than srpms.

Paul.