[Distutils] vetting, signing, verification of release files

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Wed Jul 17 22:14:22 CEST 2013

On Jul 17, 2013, at 3:58 PM, zooko <zooko at zooko.com> wrote:

> In my opinion it is a good idea to embed, not just the *name* of the package
> that your package depends on, but also the public key or public keys that your
> package requires the depended-upon package to be signed by.

The problem with this is it makes it more difficult to replace a library with a patched copy.

Example:
	I want to install the library Foo, Foo depends on Bar, and Bar depends on Broken. Broken
        is well, broken and I want to use a patched version of it locally. So I fix Broken, upload
        it to my private index server and I pip install from that.

        If public keys are encoded as part of the dependency chain, not only do I need to patch Broken
        but I also need to patch Foo and Bar _and_ anything else that depends on Foo, Bar, or Broken
        _and_ anything else that depends on those, so on until we reach the leaves.

Packages should have signatures. Dependency should be by name. End tooling should provide a method to make a set of requirements with certain signatures or hashes for a specific instance of this installation. (E.g. Awesome, Inc could have a set of requirements that contain Foo, Bar and their own patched version of Broken along with the keys used to sign all of them).

Donald Stufft