[Distutils] Q about best practices now (or near future)

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Thu Jul 18 02:25:03 CEST 2013

On Jul 17, 2013, at 8:16 PM, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Well, it's just one additional command to type in - it's really neither here
> nor there as long as it's well documented.

There is already a getpip.py that's just not distributed with Python. So if  "There
is only one additional command to type" was the excuse than we already have that:

    curl https://raw.github.com/pypa/pip/master/contrib/get-pip.py | python

But for various reasons many projects have decided that expecting people to
install the tools is difficult, especially for beginners and that simply documenting
the command to install it was not enough.

Donald Stufft