[Distutils] Q about best practices now (or near future)

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Thu Jul 18 08:51:23 CEST 2013

On Jul 18, 2013, at 2:45 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18 July 2013 02:03, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> it's simple to upgrade the pip if the user requires a newer version
> of pip using ``pip install --upgrade pip`
>
> Please don't gloss over the potential issues with upgrading in the face of in-use exe wrappers. We have a design for a solution, but as yet no working code. I expect to work on this, but my time is limited and I'm not at all sure there won't be issues still to resolve. (Obviously, anyone else is welcome to help, but it's a "windows issue", so I don't know how much interest there will be from non-Windows developers).

That's a bug ;) And will be worked around one way or another even if I need to install Windows to make it happen in time.

> Prior to the setuptools move away from 2to3, my standard response to anyone reporting issues with in-place upgrades of setuptools or pip (certainly on Windows, and in general anywhere else too) was "well, don't do that - remove and reinstall manually". Things are better now, but not yet perfect and I don't believe that there is a consensus that this is acceptable for a bundled pip.

I consider "remove and reinstall" to be a terrible UX and if that's the best answer pip can give we need to fix that regardless. But as I said I don't mind ``python -mgetpip`` existing for one reason or another. I just don't think a bootstrap command is our best option for providing the most streamlined user experience.

Either way running an old pip is hardly that big of a deal. Anyone using a Linux distro is likely to be running an older version unless they've gone out of their way to upgrade it.

Donald Stufft