[Distutils] Q about best practices now (or near future)

Marcus Smith qwcode at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 19:24:10 CEST 2013

> I think it's still useful to have pip vendor just pkg_resources (as
> pip.pkg_resources). It's easy, it gives you enough to install wheels,
> and it's not the only thing you would do.

I agree.  there's 2 problems to be solved here

1) making pip a self-sufficient wheel installer  (which requires some
internal pkg_resources equivalent)
2) removing the user headache of a setuptools build *dependency* for
practically all current pypi distributions

for #2, we have a few paths I think

1) bundle setuptools  (and have pip install "pkg_resources" for console
scripts, if it existed as a separate project)
2) bundle setuptools (and rewrite the console script wrapper logic to not
need pkg_resources?)
3) dynamic install of setuptools from wheel when pip needs to instal sdists
(which is 99.9% of the time, so this feels a bit silly)
4) just be happy that the pip bootstrap/bundle efforts will alleviate the
pain in new versions of python (by pre-installing setuptools?)