[Distutils] Q about best practices now (or near future)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 22:49:16 CEST 2013

On 18 July 2013 21:41, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> Console scripta aren't the only use of entry points fwiw. THere's other
> entry points programs use. I don't know if they all depend on setuptools or
> if just assume it's there. Technically the should depend but that would
> break things for those people.
>
> I think either way pkg_resources is going to need to be installed, but
> setuptools won't.

If a project uses setuptools features at runtime, it should declare
setuptools as a dependency. The difference with script wrappers is that the
project didn't write the code, setuptools itself did. Any other use of
entry points requires "import pkg_resources" in the user-written code, and
should therefore be supported by having setuptools in the runtime
dependency list.

Paul