[Distutils] Q about best practices now (or near future)

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 19 01:09:51 CEST 2013

PJ Eby <pje <at> telecommunity.com> writes:

> As others have already mentioned, this is not a bug but a feature.
> Setuptools-generated scripts are linked to a specific version of the
> project, which means that you can install more than one version by
> renaming the scripts or installing the scripts to different
> directories.
>
> While other strategies are definitely possible, distlib's approach is
> not backward-compatible, as it means installing new versions of a

Correct, because distlib does not support multiple installed versions of the
same distribution, nor does it do the sys.path manipulations on the fly which
have caused many people to have a problem with setuptools.

Do people see this as a problem? I would have thought that venvs would allow
people to deal with multiple versions in a less magical way.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip