[Distutils] Q about best practices now (or near future)

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Fri Jul 19 02:36:25 CEST 2013

On Jul 18, 2013, at 8:33 PM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:

> We might as well allow happy setuptools users to continue using
> setuptools. I don't care about making a pkg_resources console_scripts
> handler that does the same thing because we can just use the existing
> one. The more important contribution is to provide an alternative for
> people who are not happy setuptools users.

I generally agree with this :) I just think that we need to close the loop on
our current efforts before adding more things into the fray. The only major
change to the eco system we've made so far that has actually *shipped*
to end users is the distribute/setuptools merge and that's causing a lot
of pain to people.

Soon we'll at least have a pip version with prelim wheel support but I don't
even know if it supports metadata 2.0 at all or not yet? I think there's a
pre-release of wheel that does though?

Donald Stufft