[Distutils] Q about best practices now (or near future)

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 19 02:47:12 CEST 2013

> version of them.  So, I don't think it's accurate to consider

> multi-version installation a totally new feature.  (And AFAIK, the
> point of contention isn't that setuptools *supports* multi-version
> installation, it's that it's the *default* implementation.)

That distutils features could be manipulated in some esoteric way doesn't mean that distutils supports multi-version installations - not by design, anyway.

It's perfectly fine for setuptools, buildout and other third-party tools to support multi-version installations in whatever way they see fit  - I only raised the question of a PEP because multi-version would be a significant new feature if in Python (leaving aside technicalities about whether something "bundled with Python" is "in Python").

Regards,

Vinay Sajip